The Call from Dresden
The name Ludwig Güttler and the famous Dresden Frauenkirche are inextricably linked. Güttler was spokesperson of the citizens’ initiative which in 1989 gave the impetus for the reconstruction of the Dresden Frauenkirche, built by George Bähr. The Frauenkirche was destroyed in the February 1945 bombing of Dresden. He was co-initiator and signatory of the group “A Call from Dresden”, which in 1990 initiated the first fundraising campaign for the reconstruction of the Frauenkirche. Later he went on to become the chairman of the Society for the Promotion of the Reconstruction of the Dresden Frauenkirche e.V. – an association that was dissolved in 2005 upon the completion of the reconstruction. From 1995 to 2006 he was member of the board of trustees of the Frauenkirche Foundation and was in charge of the artistic realisation of the reconstruction concerts. He was a relentless fundraiser for the reconstruction of the Frauenkirche, not only by raising awareness but also by organising charity concerts. Up to this point, he is still committed to the life of the house of god that was consecrated in 2005. Functioning as the chairman of the Society for the Promotion of the Dresden Frauenkirche e.V. , it is more than just that he has been awarded several prices for his achievements surrounding the Dresden Frauenkirche.